Leisure training at UKSA
As part of our charitable remit, we offer a range of leisure sailing and watersports courses aimed at improving personal enjoyment of a wide variety of sports afloat during recreational leisure time. Courses on offer take the form of 1-9 day residential programmes and include all the necessary food accommodation, and use of personal safety equipment. Watersports and sailing offer a hugely rewarding pass time which is both healthy, sociable and great fun.
The Academy has a great reputation for offering the best career training for yacht captains, crew and watersports professionals. We have developed and refined these professional training programme's for nearly two decades. This experience feeds directly into our training for recreational boaters, whether it's for your first time afloat, or preparation for your Yachtmaster practical exam. Our aim is to help you develop the seamanship and technical knowledge needed to enjoy going to sea safely and with confidence.
We are able to offer the widest possible variety of courses for serious recreational sailors, watersports enthusiasts and motor boaters, covering everything from kayaking to ocean voyaging. The majority of these courses are delivered through one day, weekend and five-day programme's As well as practical courses afloat, we also offer a range of shore-based training courses for both beginners and experts, covering navigation theory, the use of electronic aids, sea survival and yacht maintenance.
Academy Leisure yachting programme's are designed for participants aged 18 or over. Younger participants can be accepted if accompanied by an adult, or through special arrangement with the Academy, if you are under 18 and wish to take part in any of the programme's included in leisure yachting, please call us.
The best facilities and instructors
All courses are taught by specialists with considerable in-depth knowledge of their subject and a passion for providing clients with the best possible training experience.
Our charitable, non-profit making status enables us to invest heavily in facilities - both on shore and afloat - that are second to none.
Everything you need in one place
UKSA is organised and set up so that any time spent here can be spent focusing on your sports and studies. Our 3.5 acre waterfront site in Cowes includes:-
- Accommodation and food for the duration of your course, with those on yachting practical courses living on board, and those booked on other programme's living ashore in purpose-built accommodation.
- Multiple state-of-the-art lecture facilities
- Extensive on-shore engineering and maintenance training workshops
- Dedicated classrooms set up for teaching radio training, navigation and sea survival
- All safety equipment provided including foul-weather gear, wetsuits, buoyancy aids or lifejackets as required
- On site Bar for socialising and unwinding after a hard day on the water
- Onsite shop stocking a variety of life’s essential odds and ends ensuring you don’t have to take time out to go to the shops. The shop also stocks a full range of sailing gear and books for those wanting to invest in their own equipment and take further learning away with them
- Wireless Internet access points around site
- Student Cyber café for those not bringing laptops
- Iindoor heated swimming pool available for working on maintaining and improving your fitness and stamina
- Use of Urban Metro Gym, which is a 2 minute walk away offers UKSA students use of their gym at a cost of £10 per week. Further details of Urban Metro can be found at www.urbanmetrogym.co.uk
To ensure everyone gets the most from any visit to UKSA, you will find a large team of friendly knowledgeable and approachable staff focused on ensuring you get the most out of any time with us.
The magic of UKSA is the ethos that underpins our whole organisation. As a charitable organisation, our mission is the improvement of lives through watersports activities. It’s a great mission to follow and is what makes UKSA so unique. We love what we do, have a passion for sharing it and want to inspire as many people as we possibly can through our work, so come and join us.